EUROCITIES working group on housing is meeting online on 19 November, from 11.00-13.30!
You can register here: https://wghousingmeeting.eventbrite.com
In the last months the housing has been high on the agenda of EU. The European Parliament Report on ‘Access to decent and affordable housing for all’ will be adopted in the EMPL committee in December. On 14 October European Commission officially adopted the Renovation Wave Strategy along with a the New European Bauhaus initiative, and a set of recommendations on energy poverty. To understand all the potential opportunities for cities, WG housing will meet to exchange views on the next steps for action. The meeting of the WG housing has a special guest – Professor Padraic Kenna, Director of the Centre for Housing Law, Rights and Policy at the Law School NUI Galway, Ireland. He will have a keynote presentation on the status of housing and economic governance in EU.
The meeting is designed as an online space for discussion and updates which will help cities:
- Learn about the latest policy update on housing and renovation at EU level
- Engage in a discussion with Professor Padraic Kenna, Director of the Centre for Housing Law, Rights and Policy at the Law School NUI Galway, Ireland.
- Get informed about the latest updates from EU level and EUROCITIES, as well as on our WG priorities and activities in 2021
- Hear about the key findings of EUROCITIES report on pr 19 on housing and homelessness
Agenda of the meeting
11.00 – 11.25 Welcome and introduction
- Welcome by Susanne Bauer
- Presentation on the EU housing and economic governance by Professor Padraic Kenna, Director of the Centre for Housing Law, Rights and Policy at the Law School NUI Galway, Ireland.
11.25– 11.40 Affordable housing at EU level (15’)
- We will be presenting the recent updates on affordable housing at EU level.
- European Parliament report on affordable housing (result of the lobby activities)
- EUROCITIES report on pr 19 on housing and homelessness
11.40 – 12.10 Renovation Wave (30’)
- We will be presenting the recent developments on renovation wave at EU level.
- European Commission ‘Renovation Wave’ initiative
- EUROCITIES statement on Renovation Wave
12.10 – 12.40 Investments and opportunities: how cities can benefit from all the financial investment and the new policy environment? (30’)
- We will be discussing the role of cities and the ways to influence funding programmes at national level, financing and potential ways to engage in the drafting of operational plans.
- Presentations from cities that are engaged at national level
12.40 – 13.10 Business meeting (30’)
- Work plan for 2021
- Future cooperation
13.10-13.20 Presentation of the next meeting in Berlin